Facial fillers are a common non-surgical cosmetic treatment. But there are so many to choose from, how do I know which one is best for you? All fillers can reduce the appearance of age-related wrinkles and folds. The most common being the nasal labial folds, marionette lines, lip lines and chin wrinkles. Here are five categories of injectable fillers:
1. Collagen Fillers- This was the first filler developed. The collagen came from bovine, human or porcine tissue. As I use to say “you’re lucky if it lasted when you got out of the parking lot.” It is not used much today because of its short longevity.
2. Hyaluronic Acid- This is a sugar protein that is found in your skin and decreases as we age. It is also found in cartilage, joints and fluid around the eyes. It acts like an inflated cushion to support facial structures and brings water to the surface to hydrate the skin. These fillers are easily removable. Product names in this category include: Restylane, Perlane, Belotero, Expressions, Juvederm and Juvederm Voluma. Results can vary from six months to two years.
3. Calcium Hydroxyapatite-Brand named Radiesse, this is a product which is a heavier and thicker dermal filler made with calcium-based microspheres suspended in a water-based gel. It is used to treat deep wrinkles and mid- face volume loss. This product also stimulates your own collagen production. Results generally last from eight months to one year.
4. Poly-l-lactic acid- Sculptra Aesthetic is considered more of a stimulator than a filler. It stimulates gradual collagen production. It is great for thin, crepey skin. It does require several treatments. Results are long lasting, two+ years.
5. PMMA Filler- Bellafill is a product that consists of tiny PMMA microspheres (smaller than a white blood cell) that are suspended in a collagen gel. It is a semi-permanent filler that also stimulates collagen and is also considered a great option for acne scars.
For best results, it is important to consult with a medical professional. Some products are better for certain areas than others. Consultations are always complimentary at Ageless Beauty Center.